In the fall of 1942, Mauser started the production of P.38 pistols and their respective magazines. The first Mauser-produced magazines were comparable to the Walther magazines from that same period. The left-hand side of the magazine housing was stamped only with P.38; the Mauser military acceptance stamp E/135 was applied on the spine.
Magazines of this variation were marked with only one E/135 stamp high on the spine and usually in an upside-down position. These magazines were issued with Mauser pistosl from byf42 till byf43 c-block (March 1943) .